TIFFANY TOWNSHIP Snowplowing Guidelines
The Patrolman shall use his/her best judgement and these guidelines using the equipment available to maintain winter town roads in a safe and convenient condition as may be reasonably possible. It is understood that every storm poses different challenges caused by variations in timing, duration, wind, temperature, reliability of weather forecasting, and the amount of snow that falls. It is also understood that safe winter roads are the priority for the citizens of this township.
1. If it’s raining and temperatures are falling, spread sand on critical hills and curves immediately or as soon as reasonably possible.
2. During normal work hours, work to clear any accumulating snow that will not melt if not removed. If moderate snow is expected later in the day or evening the patrolman may adjust his/her hours for the day or he/she may add 6 hours of overtime at his/her discretion to clear the roads. It is always better to plow before roads are driven on.
3. After normal working hours and on weekends, plow critical areas where snow will pack and freeze (especially in shady areas) where it would be more difficult to remove snow the next working day.
4. Do what is necessary to prevent packed snow from accumulating on roads from one snowfall to the next. This might include spreading salt and coming back with the grader after the snowstorm has ended.
5. If a significant snowfall is expected over a shorter time period (4 to 6 hours), wait until the storm begins to abate to start plowing.
6. If a significant snowfall is expected of 6 to 12 or more inches over an 8 to 12 hour period begin plowing as soon as two inches have accumulated. In such cases it may be necessary to plow the 31 miles of town roads twice.
7. Give extra attention to the typical wind-drift areas plowing sooner and more often as necessary.
8. If the county pulls their trucks off the road we will also pull our trucks at that time.
9. If in doubt, contact the Town Chairman or the next available Supervisor if he/she cannot be reached to approve additional work